Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Unwitnessed Cardiac Arrest, Witnessed Cardiac Arrest|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||2019-0: Cardiac Arrest|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- Code when
- a non-perfusing rhythm occurs and
- the patient is given BCLS or ACLS (i.e. receives CPR of some sort) or receives defibrillation or cardioversion
- Thus do not code this if no treatment is given for the arrest -- this is different than our usual rule to code diagnoses even if no treatment is given, and the reason is that EVERY death at some point includes the heart stopping (cardiac arrest) and we would therefore be using this code for every death, which we do not want to do.
- Combine this code with the INITIAL rhythm observed during the code, which may include:
- Ventricular fibrillation
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Pulseless Electrical Activity (PEA) -- also known as electromechanical dissociation
- Could also be a supraventricular arrythmia or high degree of heart block
- Also code Targeted Temperature Management (TTM) if applicable.
- Do NOT code this as a comorbid condition.
Allan how do you want the ICD 10 diagnosis Sudden cardiac death used, keeping this code Cardiac arrest in mind Lisa Kaita 08:30, 2022 December 10 (CST)
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks
Show all ICD10 Subcategories