CAM positive (TISS Item)
From CCMDB Wiki
(Redirected from Confusion Assessment Method)Jump to navigationJump to search
see TISS Items SMW for other TISS items
|TISS Item||CAM positive (TISS Item)|
|TISS28 Category:||Neurological Support|
|TISS28 Row Number||9|
|TISS28 Description||CAM "+" any time today|
|TISS28 Item Number||0|
|TISS28 Comment:||added for Dr. Arora & Critical Care QI Team|
About CAM Evaluation
- CAM stands for Confusion Assessment Method-- it is an instrument for use in the intensive care unit to accurately diagnose delirium in critically ill patients who are often nonverbal because of mechanical ventilation."
- To even be evaluable for CAM assessment, a patient must be conscious. Thus, in reality, a given CAM assessment has 3 possible findings: (i) not evaluable, (ii) evaluable and CAM-positive, or (iii) evaluable and CAM-negative.
- CAM status is currently recorded in ICUs in two places:
- On the ICU flowsheet, as an indication of CAM-positive versus not being CAM-positive; as above the latter includes evaluable and CAM-negative or not evaluable. Of note, the ICU nurses evaluate for delerium multiple times per day.
- On the TISS sheet, as a bubble for being CAM-positive versus not being CAM-positive. Here there is just a single yes/no bubble, so that NOT being CAM-positive can mean either that there were no evaluable assessments during that day or that there was at least one evaluable assessment and all of those were CAM-negative.
- The users of this data (including Rakesh Arora in ICCS) are mainly counting the number of ICU days in which a patient is CAM-positive -- which of course only includes days on which there is at least one CAM-evaluable assessment.
We are collecting CAM as T0 - CAM positive (TISS Item).
Problems were flagged in:
- Hard to tell in the numbers (whether marking is legit or not). Maybe another round of survey will help - are the data collectors marking or crossing out the entry if they find inconsistencies from various sources?--JMojica 14:02, 2017 May 11 (CDT)
- If I find inconsistencies I will correct and/or clarify with the bedside nurse Lisa Kaita 14:21, 2017 May 11 (CDT)
- I will do the same as Lisa, but it isn't always easy to clarify the CAM status of a patient if I am checking TISS sheets from previous days. Sometimes the systems review notes don't seem to correlate with the CAM score on the flow sheet. I have to use my judgement in these cases, so the CAM positive days are not always accurate.Mlagadi 14:57, 2017 May 18 (CDT)
- The information was requested by Dr Arora - Quarterly report showing the monthly statistics regarding the Delirium/Confusion cases in complication Diagnosis, counts of patients with at least one day marked with CAM+ and total CAM+ days and their associated rates for STB ICMS, ICCS and ACCU.
- Report included in the Critical Care Regional OpPlan as requested by the QI Officer - Quarterly report of Delirium cases, Delirium Rates, Delirium Days and Delirium Rate Days for all ICUs in the region
- New - WRHA Critical Care Quality Indicator Chart Report for Directors and Managers - Quarterly report of Delirium cases, Delirium Rates, Delirium Days and Delirium Rate Days for all ICUs in the region