ICU Acquired Catheter-associated Urinary Tract Infection (CAUTI) rate
Number of Catheter-associated Urinary Tract Infection (CAUTI) cases per 1000 ICU patient days
Sampling Plan / Procedure
100 % of all patients will be monitored for acquired urinary catheter infection.
- Recorded once per patient
- On quarterly basis based on discharge dates, tabulate the number of cases on acquired and total number of patient days or Total ICU_LOS in Length of Stay (ICU Report)
Definition and Derivation
Number of CAUTI cases per 1000 ICU patient days
Number of new ICU CAUTI acquired cases
Total ICU_LOS in Length of Stay (ICU Report)
- CAUTI is part of the ICD10 collection with code T83.5 Iatrogenic, infection, urinary catheter under the Acquired Diagnosis / Complication .
- The SAS program to get the CAUTI is X:\Julie\SAS_CFE\CFE_macros\Pre_ICD10_AcqDx.sas
- The SAS program to get the LOS is X:\Julie\SAS_CFE\CFE_macros\logphi.sas and (datetimes.sas or datetime_short.sas )
Critical Care Directors, Critical Care Unit Managers and WRHA Outcome Improvement Team Committee