Length of Stay (ICU Report)
ICU days (Median)
Length of stay is an important measure for utilization purposes and is frequently used as a measure of ICU resource use. LOS is influenced by many factors but safe and effective critical care should result in a shorter ICU length of stay.
Sampling Plan / Procedure
Right now this is slightly inconsistent with Definition of a Critical Care Laptop Admission which doesn't explicitly exclude the ER pts. I have flagged that page for task review. Once that is done, can we just use that definition here as well to ensure consistency?
All ICU admissions. Admissions from Emergency Department are considered an ICU admission when patient physically arrives in the ICU. See Definition of a Critical Care Laptop Admission for further information about which patients are included.
If transfers occur within ICU’s within the same facility eg. MICU, SICU and IICU, this will be reported as 3 individual length of stays and not one cumulative LOS.
Include all admissions to ICU. Include all patients physically present in a bed under the direct control of the reporting ICU or patients admitted to the care of the ICU but not physically present in an ICU bed. See Definition of a Critical Care Laptop Admission for further information about which patients are included.
- Reported when patient had been discharged out of ICU.
- Reported on a monthly or quarterly basis as an average and median value
- Reported as total value when used as denominator in the calculation of other indicators.
Definition and Derivation
- ICU Length of stay (ICU_LOS) = ICU discharge date/time – ICU admit date/time (expressed in days) where ICU discharge date/time = Dispo_DtTm and ICU admit date/time = Arrive_DtTm
- Average ICU_LOS (in days to 1 decimal place)
- Median ICU_LOS (in days to 1 decimal place)
- Total ICU_LOS (in days to 1 decimal place)
For Average ICU_LOS, the numerator is Sum of Length of ICU stay of all discharges
For Average ICU_LOS, the denominator is Number of discharges
The SAS program to get the LOS is X:\Julie\SAS_CFE\CFE_macros\logphi.sas and (datetimes.sas or datetime_short.sas )
- Critical Care Directors, Critical Care Unit Managers and WRHA Outcome Improvement Team Committee
- Shared Health Decision Support Officer for Critical Care Dashboard (HSC only)
- Critical Care Quality Officer for HSC Op-Plan (HSC only)