This template is used to make sure instructions are consistent in in the ischemic cut dx pages:
- Mesenteric ischemia, acute
- Mesenteric ischemia, chronic
- Mesenteric ischemia, NOS
- Disorder of stomach or duodenum, NOS
- Disorder of liver, NOS
- Disorder of esophagus, NOS
Actual template content below the line
Ischemic gut guideline
There are separate codes for different parts of the ischemic gut:
- The following 3 items refer to ischemia of the intestines, including small bowel (including duodenem), or colon, rectum, anus
- For ischemia of the stomach -- use Disorder of stomach or duodenum, NOS
- For ischemia of the liver -- use Disorder of liver, NOS
- For ischemia of the esophagus --- use Disorder of esophagus, NOS
- Thus, these various codes variously cover the following concepts:
- "ischemic bowel"
- "ischemic gut"
- "mesenteric arterial thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric vein thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric arterial atherosclerosis"
- But these codes do NOT include:
- The cause of that ischemia/infarction. As usual, if the cause is known, link the code for the cause to the relevant code as above for the ischemia, e.g: Atherosclerosis of arteries, NOS, Thrombosis or embolism of artery, NOS, Septic Thrombosis or Embolism, NOS, Disorder of artery/arteries, NOS
- GI arterial disorders in the absence of mesenteric ischemia/infarction.