Ventilator Utilization Ratio
<onlyinclude>Ventilator Utilization Ratio (VUR) is proportion of ICU days being spent on invasive mechanical ventilation.
|Indicator:||Ventilator Utilization Ratio (VUR)|
|Start Date:||Jan 1 2013|
Ventilation days / Total Patient days in percent (%)
VUR is a surrogate marker of multiple interrelated factors: ICU patients characteristics (acuity, comorbidity, premorbid functional status), structural and process-related aspects of ICU care (staffing ratios, staff expertise, processes for effective ventilator), hospital factors (presence of step-down unit, factors affecting patient flow).
Sampling Plan / Procedure
- 100% sampling for all patients on invasive mechanical ventilation as indicated by the presence of T18 - Invasive Mechanical Ventilation (TISS Item)
- 100% sampling for all patients in ICU.
- Exclude non-invasive ventilation.
- Daily occupancy of patients who stayed in ICU
- Daily recording of dates of patient being on invasive mechanical ventilation
- Total occupancy in terms of patient days are calculated and reported on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis based on the daily data.
- Total number of ventilated days are calculated and reported on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis based on the daily data.
- Time Reference is calendar month, quarter or year.
Definition and Derivation
Num = Total Invasive Mechanical Vent Days in a calendar period
Denom =Total Patient Days on the same period as the numerator
VUR = Num / Denom * 100
- Time Reference: Calendar Dates from Jan 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017
- Total days patients are on invasive ventilator = 830
- Total patient days from Jan 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017 at HSC MICU = 1103.7
- VUR (%) = 830 / 1103.7 = 75.2%
- Daily data for Invasive are taken on TISS28 element T18 - Invasive Mechanical Ventilation (TISS Item). The TISS form is being marked daily by ICU bed side nurses and quality checked by the Database Data Collectors.
- Daily occupancy per day are derived from Accept DtTm or Arrive DtTm and Dispo DtTm.
Part of X:\Julie\SAS_CFE\CC_reports\ChartReport\prepCCChart.sas
- Critical Care Directors and Site Managers
- Critical Care Quality Improvement Team (QIT)