for the WRHA Regional Daily ICU Bed census (White Board) see Bed census.mdb
Count of full or partial days patients occupy beds. Partial days are reported in a decimal fraction of a day.
Bed occupancy is usually used in aggregate form as "per location" and/or "per timeframe", e.g. by day/month/quarter/year x Ward/Unit x Hospital.
Actual hours occupying a bed per day for each patient
- If admit date the same as discharge date - calculate the difference between the discharge time and admit time.
- if admit date is not the same as disch date
- for first date - calculate the difference between 2400 and admit time
- for in between date - consider 1 full day
- for last date - calculate the difference between disch time - 001
- Bed Occupancy per day = sum of bed occupied by all patients in a given day
- This formula is used in quarter/FY reports
Get the maximum bed census and minimum bed census per day
- Bed occupancy per day = (Minimum + Maximum)/2
- This formula is used in CCVSM general information
number of bed census per slice of time
- This means for a given hour of the day, how many beds are occupied.
- This is done by adding the patient admitted and subtracting the patient discharged based on time per day.
- Bed Occupancy per day at ##Hour = number of patients occupying a bed at ##Hour.
- This formula is used in QI Team (Total Patient Days at 2300 HR) and in GRA ICU monthly reports
bed occupancy at various hours of day
In TMSX and MED TMS, they can calculate bed occupancy at various hour of the day (0 to 23 HR). I think he is using both #Actual hours occupying a bed per day for each patient and #number of bed census per slice of time. I never asked Ed how he does his calculations. I asked the users of the data. I am using Ed's to crosscheck my numbers and we match.
Reports using Bed Occupancy