for the WRHA Regional Daily ICU Bed census (White Board) see Bed census.mdb
Count of full or partial days patients occupy beds. Partial days are reported in a decimal fraction of a day.
Bed occupancy is usually used in aggregate form as "per location" and/or "per timeframe", e.g. by day/month/quarter/year x Ward/Unit x Hospital.
Actual hours occupying a bed per day for each patient
- If admit date the same as discharge date - calculate the difference between the discharge time and admit time.
- if admit date is not the same as disch date
- for first date - calculate the difference between 2400 and admit time
- for in between date - consider 1 full day
- for last date - calculate the difference between disch time - 001
- Bed Occupancy per day = sum of bed occupied by all patients in a given day
- This formula is used in quarter/FY reports
Get the maximum bed census and minimum bed census per day
- Bed occupancy per day = (Minimum + Maximum)/2
- This formula is used in Critical Care Vital Signs Monitoring
number of bed census per slice of time
- This means for a given hour of the day, how many beds are occupied.
- This is done by adding the patient admitted and subtracting the patient discharged based on time per day.
- Bed Occupancy per day at ##Hour = number of patients occupying a bed at ##Hour.
- This formula is used in QI Team (Total Patient Days at 2300 HR) and in GRA ICU monthly reports
Is this about Bed census.mdb or a different thing?
bed occupancy at various hours of day
In TMSX and MED TMS, they can calculate bed occupancy at various hour of the day (0 to 23 HR). I think he is using both #Actual hours occupying a bed per day for each patient and #number of bed census per slice of time. I never asked Ed how he does his calculations. I asked the users of the data. I am using Ed's to crosscheck my numbers and we match.
with TMSX not having been around for a while, is this still relevant? Do you provide this data otherwise? Do we need to implement this?
Reports using Bed Occupancy
- Quarterly report
- Annual report (Fiscal Year)
- for Grace ICU Monthly report
- Critical Care Vital Signs Monitoring