Transition to Database Server
Jump to navigation Jump to search
CCMDB will eventually outgrow Microsoft Access as a storage format for our Centralized_data.mdb.
- We need to be able to access this from collector laptops; these might be accessing the network remotely
- Who will be allowed to program and implement changes on this system?
Administrative and governance considerations
We now need to work out the following:
- What would be the terms and conditions of us using this repository
- who owns the data?
- how will this be funded?
- how do we navigate giving additional people access to the data?
- will we be able to give partial access to data to people? Technically this is obviously possible, but would we be allowed to do this, and if so, would we be allowed to manage this ourselves?
- would we be able to access this and report from this via SQL reporting (a system Kym's group uses for real-time available reports for Accuro, which ties into the same type of database system)
U of M centralized solution
U of M is in the process of setting up a centralized solution for data management. Allan is in contact with them for this.
2022-10-17 - Allan attended meeting that introduced Cyware as a possible tool; U of M is working with Manitoba Health to find out if and how privacy can be accomplished with this. Early stages but Allan will stay in the loop with them.
- Narmada Retnakaran (Manager, Data Coordinating Centre) is getting a handle on how they do stuff before she is prepared to discuss further with us
- we asked CHI if they could store this for us, but they said storing external data like this is not currently a project they can take on
- 2019-08-22 - Allan reported that CHI will set up a group to work through the governance of such a server. Tina suggested to start the technical discussions in tandem with this, and Allan agreed to make the connection to do this.
- 2023-01-18 email from Alex Omson responding to ticket 5698212 about slow access to our db back end; responded Jan 25
- 2022-09-27 long string of "waiting for input from Perry" as documented in Task minutes
- 2021-11-04 that incident was taken over by Kevin Soroka a while ago, Tina emailed him to follow up; eventually a Christine Pawlett and Shelley Irving Day got back to us, had one meeting and progress stalled again
- 2021-08... was encouraged by MS Access upgrade team to start a new incident for this (INC000004781738)
- 2021-02-12 - Summary of the last few months: we put in a "Provincial Intake" request with the help of Alex Omsen; Shelley Irving Day agreed to be the required executive level support; there is ongoing conversation at the leadership level how our database fits into ongoing needs and once that is decided we will hopefully move toward a solution.
- a long time ago we tried to set up our own server within the Shared Health system; they initially offered to make this safe and doable within their network but then the price tag was to the moon, and they would not have allowed us to access this network from the rest of the network so no use
- there was at least one meeting at some point to which Kym Morris was also invited
- we tried to work with Decision Support Services and had a test system set up when the arrangement fell through because a data agreement could not be reached
- WRHA Department "Analytics & Business Intelligence" has given us access to a database on their database server where we would be able to store our data. The technical groundwork was in place: we were able to add/edit/remove tables and access them via an MS Access front end through ODBC. Then some decision was made that made this not a feasible solution, might have been when Trevor Strom left