Influenza virus NOS -- should almost never be used
|Dx:||Influenza virus NOS -- should almost never be used|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Influenza virus|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||2019-0: Respiratory Infection|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
See Influenza in ICD10 for general information about influenza related coding.
Coding other infections caused by influenza virus
This is a Pathogen code, but as the name implies, it is almost never needed. This is because the other three influenza items cover virtually every influenza manifestation we can think of. We've included influenza for the pathogen list only for completeness. See Influenza in ICD10 for some examples how it might be used.
One example where Influenza virus NOS -- should almost never be used would be used is to enter Combined ICD10 codes for any sepsis codes such as Severe sepsis. In that scenario you might
- combine Severe sepsis and Influenza virus NOS -- should almost never be used
- enter an influenza code such as Influenza without pneumonia but with other respiratory manifestations WITHOUT combining it with the previous entry
- usually we would combine all three of these, but since one requires a pathogen, and the other doesn't allow one, they would have to be not combined.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Almost always one of the following codes should be used instead of this one:
- Influenza pneumonia
- Influenza without pneumonia but with other respiratory manifestations
- Influenza with nonrespiratory manifestations
Don't confuse influenza virus with either of:
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)
|Query check ICD10 Inf Potential Infection must have pathogen or alt||CCMDB.accdb||declined|
|Check Inf Antibiotic resistance must have pathogen or Infection with implied pathogen||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Check Inf Infection with implied pathogen must not have a pathogen combined code||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Query check ICD10 Inf Infection req Pathogen must have one||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Query Check Inf Pathogens must have Infection requiring pathogen or Potential Infection||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|