Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Neurodevelopmental disorder|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
The term "mental retardation" offends some people and there was a suggestion to rename this diagnosis to "cognitive impairment". However, "mental retardation" it is the official term used by the WHO for this code, so it makes sense to stick to it. The explanation at the above link also clarifies that this is intended for developmental problems only, while "cognitive impairment" could be acquired or even temporary.
- This is a manifestation, not a disease. It's mainly used when the underlying disease is not known, OR to especially code this entity when severe.
- If you know the specific disease, it's even more important to code IT than to code this.
- Includes developmental delay
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
- Psychological developmental disorder, NOS
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD) and other hyperkinetic disorders
- Mental disorder, of behavior, personality or emotion, NOS
- Brain, congenital malformation
- Fetal alcohol syndrome
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
- Code the cause, if known.
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)
Show all ICD10 Subcategories