Ventilator Associated Pneumonia Rate
|Indicator:||Ventilator Associated Pneumonia (VAP) Rate|
|Start Date:||Jan 1 2013|
Number of cases of VAP - Ventilator Associated Pneumonia per 1000 Ventilator-days
- VAP is a device-associated infection, the device being the artificial airway-ventilator-circuit system. VAPis associated with worse patient outcomes and higher costs.
- Factors affecting the incidence of VAPinclude those from patients (severity of illness, comorbidities, etc.) and processes of care.
- VAPrate is a measure of the incidence of VAP.
Sampling Plan / Procedure
- 100% sampling for all patients on invasive mechanical ventilation as indicated by presence of Invasive mechanical ventilation at 2300 hrs (TISS Item)
- 100% sampling for all cases with VAP incidence following the criteria listed in VAP - Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
Exclude non-invasive ventilation.
- Recording the date the VAPoccurred.
- Daily recording of dates of patient being on invasive mechanical ventilation at 2300 HR
- Total number of ventilated days are calculated and reported on a monthly, quarterly or yearly basis based on the daily data.
- Time Reference is calendar month, quarter or year.
Definition and Derivation
Num = Total VAP Cases in a calendar period
Denom =Total Vent Days on the same period as the numerator
VAP Rate = Num / Denom * 1000
- Time Reference: Calendar Dates from Jan 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017
- Total VAP cases = 5
- Total days patients are on invasive ventilator at 2300 HR = 688
- VAP Rate per 1000 days = (5 / 688) * 1000 = 7.3%
- Daily data for Invasive are taken on TISS28 element Invasive mechanical ventilation at 2300 hrs (TISS Item). The TISS form is being marked daily by ICU bed side nurses and quality checked by the Database Data Collectors.
- The dates when VAP occurred are taken from the Tmp project called QAInfVAP which was later changed to QA Infection VAP.
Part of X:\Julie\SAS_CFE\CC_reports\ChartReport\prepCCChart.sas
- Critical Care Directors and Site Managers
- Critical Care Quality Improvement Team (QIT)