Encephalopathy, septic or metabolic
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dx:||Encephalopathy, septic or metabolic|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Other Metabolic Encephalopathy|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
Excludes: Hepatic Encephalopathy
- This does NOT include hepatic encephalopathy. To code that, use one of the following (which can be combined with a cause if known and not due to alcohol):
- Liver failure w/wo hepatic encephalopathy, acute or subacute NOS
- Liver failure w/wo hepatic encephalopathy, chronic NOS
- Liver failure w/wo hepatic encephalopathy, not specified as acute or chronic
- Liver failure due to toxin/drug NOS, w/wo hepatic encephalopathy
- Liver failure, alcoholic, w/wo hepatic encephalopathy
- There was some concern that using those codes would overstate liver failure, but as answered by Allan: "Of course not every liver patient with encephalopathy has HEPATIC ENCEPHALOPATHY. They could alternatively have an enceph due to sepsis or drugs etc. BUT IF the team believes it IS H.E., then it should be coded as such and indeed this patient DOES have liver failure. H.E. only occurs in patients with liver failure."
Altered mental status
Coding altered mental status in ICD10 can be complex, see ICD10 Guideline for coding altered mental status for more info.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)