Implantation of Internal Device
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|CCI component 2 codes - what was done|
|Procedure:||Implantation of Internal Device|
|CCI 2 code:||53|
|CCI Collection Mode:||CCI collect each|
- When a drainage (e.g. abscess) procedure is done and a temporary drain is left in place, only code the drainage procedure, i.e. do not use this code for that.
- More generally, use this code for devices that are entirely internal, or have both an internal and external part but are meant to be permanent. BUT there are exceptions to this, for example DO code a temporary pacemaker (which has its own code, as below).
- stents use Dilation
- use this code for devices for which any part in the body. Contrary to what Allan said before, it does NOT have to be entirely in the body.
- code this for such devices for which there is not a picklist option.
- use for total hip/knee replacement
- for PEG tube you combine this "what was done" code with the "body part" code: (T) Stomach, Pylorus
- for Jejunostomy tube you combine this "what was done" code with the "body part" code: (T) Small Intestine
- for suprapubic cathether you combine this "what was done" code with the body part code (T) Ureter, Bladder or Urethra
- for VAD' you combine this "what was done" code with the "body part" code: (T) Cardiac ventricle
- if the patient already has a VAD from a previous admission you can use Heart assist device, has one in ICD 10 diagnosis.
- scleral buckle
Removals are not coded
- We do not code the removal or subsequent management of devices, only their insertion/implantation.
- there are exceptions to this, please see (T) NOS
Collecting "CCI collect each" items
- "CCI collect each" items are entered each time they happen
- Px Date
- Px Count
- if they happen more than once on a day, enter the number of times for that day, otherwise enter a Px Count of 1
Px Date for patients who move
See Px Date#Moves
Alternate CCIs to consider coding instead or in addition
Related ICD10 Codes
- Heart assist device, has one if applicable
|CCI_Picklist||CCI component 1 codes - what organ was something done to||CCI component 2 codes - what was done|