|Dx:||Epilepsy, or seizure in patient with known epilepsy, any type incl myoclonic|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- This code serves double duty
- Use it as a comorbid diagnosis if appropriate
- Use it to identify seizure(s) as an active issue in a person WITH a known seizure disorder, either as an admission or acquired diagnosis
- Thus for a person with epilepsy who is admitted and current seizure is not a part of the admission reason, code this only as Comorbid Diagnosis
- For someone with known epilepsy for whom an active seizure is part of the reason for admission, put this code BOTH as a Comorbid Diagnosis AND an Admit Diagnosis. For someone with known epilepsy who is admitted for something else, but who seizes after admission, put this code BOTH as a comorbid AND an acquired diagnosis.
- In these cases, IF the person had active Status epilepticus (any seizure type) you would code THAT also.
- This code includes myoclonic epilepsy.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
- Status epilepticus (any seizure type)
- Seizure, febrile (febrile seizure)
- Eclampsia (seizures must occur)
- Alcohol withdrawal
- Seizure, NOS
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)