Pneumothorax, nontraumatic, NOS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dx:||Pneumothorax, nontraumatic, NOS|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Bronchopleural Fistula, Pneumothorax, Pneumothorax Spontaneous, Pneumothorax (iatrogenic)|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- The "NOS" here refers to the fact that it's not clear if the pneumothorax is tension or non-tension
- Does NOT include traumatic.
- For iatrogenic pneumothorax, see guideline below
- This code includes a nontraumatic bronchopleural fistula where it's not clear if the pneumothorax is with or without tension. When these fistulas are spontaneous (rather than caused iatrogenically or by trauma), it is due to lung infection or abscess, then that code should also be combined with the appropriate one of these. And in this case also code Empyema (pyothorax) if present, combining it with the others.
Guideline for Iatrogenic Pneumothorax
According to our general rule of not coding iatrogenic events as traumas, code an iatrogenic pneumothorax as
- Plus the most appropriate of the following;
- Pneumothorax, tension, nontraumatic
- Pneumothorax, nontension, nontraumatic
- Pneumothorax, nontraumatic, NOS
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
- Code cause if known.
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)