STB Swing Bed entries are "bed" records within a "unit" in EPR/Cognos. They are not beds or locations but conceptual service location and time entries used for patient moves. This data causes a patient record to show up in Cognos/CUS as having arrived on a unit even when the pt has not actually arrived, and it isn't visible in our listings whether the record is for a swing or real bed.
Are there actually differences in how CC, Med or different laptops do this? Or is the following correct for all?
- Since any CUS entry at STB may be either a swing bed or a real bed, service locations and times need review.
- For Medicine, the swing bed entries will often be obvious as the unit stays will be a matter of minutes
- If a CUS entry is for a swing bed, manually exclude using the "exclude" button
- Any ICU pt. may be placed into a swing bed, but the majority of swing beds are used for the ICCS pt's. The pt. is placed in a swing bed while in the OR, and then moved into a real bed post op when they arrive in the CICU. Their stay in a swing bed may be any length of time. The true arrive Dt/Tm is taken from the ICU flow sheets.
- if a pt. was placed into an ICU swing bed but was never admitted to the ICU, the pt. entries are manually excluded from Cognos when reviewed.
- I would feel more comfortable if a collector from SBGH reviewed this, as I haven't been there for some time and I am not 100% certain how they are dealing with swing beds Lisa Kaita 13:06, 2022 August 24 (CDT)
- Pam tweaked the above, just waiting for Val to weigh in Lisa Kaita 13:30, 2022 August 24 (CDT)
- Are we still waiting for feedback on this one? Ttenbergen 15:57, 2023 May 24 (CDT)
Swing/swap locations are not used by ICU as they represent the time the ward clerk is made aware the patient will be coming to the unit and in no way represent the actual arrival time; basically we ignore the swing times ICU takes our arrival time directly from the ICU flow sheets
|Expand to see details
A swing bed entry is used "as a placeholder to virtually locate a patient when their not physically on the unit such as in the Operating Room. "
These show up in Cognos EPR Report as AsgnBed_Current
According to the Cognos data of 2020-12-08:
- avg LOS in a swing bed: 2.91 hrs
- max LOS in a swing bed: 10hrs
- total LOS in non-swing beds: 69897
- total LOS in swing beds: 134