STB CICU Collection Guide
This article contains collection information specific to the STB CICU (cardiac sciences) at St Boniface. The name that is used for this unit at STB is ICCS (Intensive Care Cardiac Surgery) or CR5 which is on the fifth floor of the Asper Building.
Please make sure you document information at the most general level that is applicable, i.e. don't code something that affects all collection at StB in the program or unit level articles.
See the following for more general information:
Unit admission log book and white board
The log book is no longer used to track admissions, see Using Cognos2 to keep track of patients.
Entering of patients before they are accepted
ICCS pts can be entered before they are actually in the unit as most are elective surgeries, & you can tell via EPR when they have gone to the OR, and then assume they will be coming post-op. Very occasionally, if the pt. expires in the OR or is sent to another unit post-op, and is therefore not admitted to ICCS, and if you have done a news & backup +/or sent files with this profile, you will have to delete the profile on the laptop and notify the Data Processor that this has occurred.
SBGH Swing Bedss are not entered
See SBGH Swing Beds for details.
CR4 (Cardiac Surgery Inpatient Unit)
Most patients that leave CICU go to this ward. When you are going there to retrieve chart data you will find that the last CICU flow sheet is usually found on the door of the patient's room. The charts are found at the desk.
If you have questions ask the ward clerk or charge nurse.
You can sit at the main desk behind the ward clerk to read charts or at the individual patient desks if the nurse is away. Now that collection is being done retrospectively, most collection will occur on the CSIU, CR4. There is a small spot at the left hand side of the charting area that is ideal as there is no computer at this spot, so you will not have to compete with unit nurses for space. This spot is also directly opposite the chart rack for easy access.
Location of patient chart components
- Patient charts and clipboards are in front of the individual cubicles.
- thinned &/or old charts are kept at the main nursing desk in the slots near the XCelera computer corner
Checklist for bedside data collection in CICU
- There is a specific list of items to obtain from the paper chart in CICU, the rest is obtained from EPR. The bedside checklist is:
- Time and date of admission from flow sheet (the EPR time is not always correct)
- Apache vital signs, GCS, ARF urine and elective vs emergent surgery.
- Infusion drugs from flowsheets
- CCI items that may be immediately evident like IABP, ECMO, Impella/VAD, swan ganz, scopes, return to OR for bleeding, etc.
- Acquired complications that are immediately evident and get the date. ie. bleeding, shock, cva, arrhythmias, etc.
- Review all blood product sheets and mark which products were given in the OR (these are not counted in our CCI). The rest of the blood products are counted and once put into CCI, please put a pencil mark to indicate which have been counted.
- Check for Pre-CPB echo results on chart and mark these results in the tmp file. If not found on the chart, then check Excelera computer program for this information for user name and password go to: p:Stephanie Cortilet.
- Get blood type from blood product information on chart. For these last 2 entries refer to Project ABO TEE
- Review and correct TISS sheets against the paper flow sheets and mark in the notes section time and date last checked.
Project ABO TEE
See Project ABO TEE for details
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Bentall Procedure
- Thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair (TEVAR)
Other STB ICU collection guide info