This article contains information specific to STB Critical Care Units.
- See STB General Collection Guide for general STB information such as: links to EPR, Mail room, medical records. Information also in regards to obtaining hand sanitizer, wipes, printer paper for collection offices.
- See ICU Curriculum for general critical care info.
Please make sure you document information at the most general level that is applicable, i.e. don't code something that affects all collection at StB in the program or unit level articles.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION DURING COVID PANDEMIC
see STB General Collection Guide#IMPORTANT UPDATE DURING CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC for general info
- STB ICU Data Collectors will be working from home until recalled or redeployed; we are monitoring our emails
Covid Unit info
AS OF NOVEMBER 2020, in order to accommodate COVID ICU patients & in an attempt to keep specific units "clean/dirty"
“ACCU has transferred 4 of their beds over to ICCS, in order to take in 4 beds for ICMS overflow patients. There has been a surge in ICU bed requirements lately, and this is part of the pandemic plan through HICS. In order to keep ICCS somewhat green, ACCU will take on the overflow for ICMS. The ACCU attendings will be the responsible physicians for those patients in ICCS (this is different than the current guidelines, as these patients are not our overflow but part of their baseline); The unit staff remain in their own units at this time - collaboration between the units will continue, and conversations about acuity will be front and center.”
AS OF MARCH 14 2022, "to support provincial and regional plans to resume certain priority services in response to reduced admissions of COVID-19 patients to hospital and ICU"
- STB MICU will no longer have access to 2 ICMS beds in ICCS, but will continue to have access to surge beds as required. Decommission of 5 critical care beds in L2 IMCU
- STB_ACCU open 1 additional bed to create a permanent 9 bed unit (as of April 25, 2022)
- STB_ICCS decommission 4 critical care beds in PARR, relocate these 4 to ICCS, and add 2 additional beds to create a 14 bed unit. ACCU will no longer have 4 beds in ICCS.
On-site presence of collectors
- each ICU collector will be on site once weekly to complete profiles in Health Records & ICUs as required
- Valerie Penner will be on site each Wednesday
- Stephanie Cortilet will be on site each Thursday
Cardiac Type patients
- when a patient has met criteria for Iatrogenic, infection, central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection (CVC-BSI, CLI), notify unit manager & educator. This can be done easily using the "generate email" button.
- CICU/ICCS: Sara Unrau email@example.com & Belinda Hendry firstname.lastname@example.org
- MICU/ICMS: Tannis Sidloski email@example.com & James Danell firstname.lastname@example.org
- ACCU/CCUO: Tannis Sidloski email@example.com & Christina Kuttnig firstname.lastname@example.org
- cardiac MRI, echos and angiograms can be found in the CCI picklist
- With the STB Electronic Patient Record we collect/count CCI/TISS entries as we are able when we review the record. Confirmation of entries is done on final review of the chart. Pharmacy is completed after final review of the chart.
Some heart attack patients go straight to the heart cath lab directly from EMS. See STEMI for collection instructions for such patients.
Cardiac Care patients
See STB Cardiac Care patients for information specific to the cardiac service care patients in the STB MICU/SICU unit.
Our cost number for supply ordering is 6766
St Boniface critical care collectors attend the STB VAP Committee.