STB Critical Care Collection Guide
This article contains information specific to STB Critical Care Units.
- See STB General Collection Guide for general STB information such as: links to EPR, Mail room, medical records. Information also in regards to obtaining hand sanitizer, wipes, printer paper for collection offices.
- See ICU Curriculum for general critical care info.
Please make sure you document information at the most general level that is applicable, i.e. don't code something that affects all collection at StB in the program or unit level articles.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION DURING COVID PANDEMIC
see STB General Collection Guide#IMPORTANT UPDATE DURING CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC for general info
- STB ICU Data Collectors will be working from home until recalled or redeployed; we are monitoring our emails
Covid Unit info
AS OF NOVEMBER 2020, in order to accommodate COVID ICU patients & in an attempt to keep specific units "clean/dirty"
“ACCU has transferred 4 of their beds over to ICCS, in order to take in 4 beds for ICMS overflow patients. There has been a surge in ICU bed requirements lately, and this is part of the pandemic plan through HICS. In order to keep ICCS somewhat green, ACCU will take on the overflow for ICMS. The ACCU attendings will be the responsible physicians for those patients in ICCS (this is different than the current guidelines, as these patients are not our overflow but part of their baseline); The unit staff remain in their own units at this time - collaboration between the units will continue, and conversations about acuity will be front and center.”
- ICMS has now 18 opened beds (14+4 in ACCU)
- ACCU remains 8 opened bed (4 main unit +4 ICCS) giving their other 4 Bed to ICMS
- ICCS reduced from 14 to whatever available (e.g. 10)
On-site presence of collectors
- each ICU collector will be on site once weekly to collect completed TISS forms & complete profiles in Health Records & ICUs as required
- Valerie Penner will be on site each Wednesday
- Stephanie Cortilet will be on site each Thursday
- completed TISS forms - please send to main office on day completed. For main office to received them next day, must be submitted to STB Mail Room before 1400 hrs.
- mail to WRHA Adult Critical Care Program office(TISS forms), GF 201 – 820 Sherbrook Street,(Green Owl, level 2 Rm GF201) Health Sciences Center, R3A-1R9
Cardiac Type patients
an email notifying that there is a patient who has met VAP criteria is sent by the Data Collector to the Chair & Co-chair of the VAP Committee, as well as to Rob Ariano, from Pharmacy. Any further VAP notification will then be sent out by them.
- positions of Chair & Co-chair are currently being filled by Christina Kuttnig & Carlos Molina respectively
See STB VAP Committee.
Remember to count cardiac MRI, echos and angiograms in the labs.
- With the STB Electronic Patient Record we do not count most labs or pharms until the patient is discharged from the unit, it is the last thing we do.--LKolesar
Some heart attack patients go straight to the heart cath lab directly from EMS. See STEMI for collection instructions for such patients.
Cardiac Care patients
See STB Cardiac Care patients for information specific to the cardiac service care patients in the STB MICU/SICU unit.
Our cost number for supply ordering is 6766
St Boniface critical care collectors attend the STB VAP Committee.