Critical illness polyneuropathy (peripheral)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dx:||Critical illness polyneuropathy (peripheral)|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Peripheral Neuropathy|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- This is a (semi) specific entity with sensory-motor polyneuropathy seen in the setting of critical illness. It's presentation can lean more heavily (or solely) as sensory nerves or motor nerves or both. The most common critical illness is sepsis/septic shock, but can be seen in a wide variety of critical illnesses. It's believed to be the peripheral nervous system version of multi-organ dysfunction syndrom (MODS), and due to circulating, soluble inflammatory mediators.
- There is no specific delineation of which critical illness is involved, nor how BAD that illness has to be. Usually the diagnosis is made in the presence of a sensory-motor polyneuropathy in someone with critical illness of any type, where there is no other recognized cause of the polyneuropathy.
Guidelines for Acquired neuromuscular weakness
- Many acutely ill (especially critically ill) patients develop/acquire weakness while in hospital
- But, there are a variety of different causes of such weakness, including related to problems with nerves (neuropathies) and muscles (myopathies). While there are some ways to distinguish among these (e.g. use of EMG/NCV testing) this is almost never done because other than avoidance, there are no real treatments for any of these, i.e. they're all treated with rehabilitation.
- Here are the specific diagnostic codes we have to cover these various causes:
- Acquired neuropathies:
- Acquired myopathies:
- Muscle, wasting/atrophy NOS -- this INCLUDES weakness/wasting/atrophy due to deconditioning
- Myopathy, drug-induced
- Muscle disorder/myopathy (primary or secondary), NOS
- Muscle, disorder NOS
- When it's not even clear whether the problem is due to muscle or nerves
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
- Peripheral neuropathy or polyneuropathy, NOS
- Peripheral nervous system disorder, NOS
- Neuropathy, peripheral, drug-induced
- Neuropathy (peripheral), alcohol-induced
- Guillain-Barre syndrome (Acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (AIDP))
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)