List of CCI procedures we don't code
See also: List of ICD10 Diagnoses we don't code
Procedures collectors don't know if/how to code
Procedures we have specifically considered, and decided not to code
- Arterial Brachial Indices (ABIs)
- Cardioversion or defibrillation during arrest
- Care of ostomies (we used to collect these)
- Chemotherapy - but see Past history of chemotherapy for neoplastic disease, Antineoplastic/chemotherapy or immunosuppressive drugs, adverse effect, Antineoplastic/chemotherapy or immunosuppressive drugs, overdose/toxicity
- Continuous bladder irrigation / CBI / Kelly irrigation
- Dressings -- including VAC dressings
- Epidural insertion (epidural catheter insertion) - for any purpose including anesthesia, chemotherapy, analgesia and any others
- Fecal management system (FMS)
- Intubation - it is already coded as T40 - Insertion of ETT (TISS Item) for ICU and not done on the ward (without patient leaving to ICU), so it was decided not to code this.
- Lavage, therapeutic (abdominal washout) - if done for diagnostic reasons, code as Biopsy (non-endoscopic)/Biopsy (endoscopic)
- Nasogastric tube (NG)/orogastric tube (OG) - but see T36 - IV hyperalimentation (TISS Item)
- open chest cardiac massage
- Oxygenation - but see T20 - Supp O2 through any device, delivered via nose, mouth, ETT or trach (TISS Item)
- Phlebotomy, blood draws for lab testing
- Plain X-rays other than AXR (abdominal plain X-ray) and CXR (plain film)
- Removal of sutures or other devices, see (T) NOS for devices we DO include
- Whole body cooling (except Targeted Temperature Management (TTM))
- Whole body warming (except Targeted Temperature Management (TTM))
We don't code all procedures. If a procedure is not either: (a) on the picklist, or (b) able to be constructed from it's components (e.g. a body part, and what was done to that body part) then we're not looking to code it.
The main issue here is that among the CCI component 2 codes - what was done, we haven't included EVERY possibility.
- In the Procedures, besides some plain X-rays contained in the CCI Picklist, the CCI component 2 codes - what was done does NOT include plain x-rays. Thus we're not enabling creation of a plain X-ray of body parts other than those contained in the picklist.
- For the Therapeutic Procedures, there is a list of approximately 30 CCI component 2 codes - what was done to the chosen body part. So some items of "what was done" are not available and you won't be able to code such procedures.
BUT, before you decide this is the case, you will need to become very familiar with the descriptions of EACH of the CCI component 2 codes - what was done that ARE available. Some will include items you would not expect. Example: The item Bypass includes creating a ostomy (which includes a colostomy and even a tracheostomy).