Cerebral infarction/stroke due to embolism
From CCMDB WikiJump to navigationJump to search
|Dx:||Cerebral infarction/stroke due to embolism|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||none assigned|
|Charlson/ALERT Scale:||Cerebrovascular disease|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
- This code is for cerebral ischemia/stroke due to an embolism (including cardioembolic) to a cerebral artery.
- For thrombosis of a cerebral artery (not embolic), use Cerebral infarction/stroke, NOS.
- If the embolic stroke spontaneously "transforms" and bleeds, then COMBINE it with the appropriate code for the hemorrhage (see below).
- If the hemorrhage after an ischemic stroke was NOT spontaneous, but followed anticoagulation, then the hemorrhage should be coded as Hemorrhage, due to anticoagulant or thrombolytic drug as a complication of treatment, not a complication of the stroke per se.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
- Hemorrhage, subarachnoid or ruptured cerebral aneurysm
- Hemorrhage, intracerebral/intracranial, nontraumatic (ICH, hemorrhagic stroke)
- Subdural or epidural hematoma/hemorrhage, nontraumatic
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (SMW)
|Query check ICD10 stroke||CCMDB.accdb||declined|