Mesenteric ischemia, NOS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dx:||Mesenteric ischemia, NOS|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Ischemic Bowel, Mesenteric Infarct/Thrombosis|
|Charlson/ALERT Scale:||Peripheral vascular disease|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
Ischemic gut guideline
There are separate codes for different parts of the ischemic gut:
- The following 3 items refer to ischemia of the intestines, including small bowel (including duodenem), or colon, rectum, anus
- For ischemia of the stomach -- use Disorder of stomach or duodenum, NOS
- For ischemia of the liver -- use Disorder of liver, NOS
- For ischemia of the esophagus --- use Disorder of esophagus, NOS
- Thus, these various codes variously cover the following concepts:
- "ischemic bowel"
- "ischemic gut"
- "mesenteric arterial thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric vein thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric arterial atherosclerosis"
- But these codes do NOT include:
- The cause of that ischemia/infarction. As usual, if the cause is known, link the code for the cause to the relevant code as above for the ischemia, e.g: Atherosclerosis of arteries, NOS, Thrombosis or embolism of artery, NOS, Septic Thrombosis or Embolism, NOS, Disorder of artery/arteries, NOS
- GI arterial disorders in the absence of mesenteric ischemia/infarction.
- Ischemia is an entity that can be contributed to my a variety of causes, and in any organ or body region
- When regional ischemia is present, you should use the ICD10 Category:Ischemia code for that body region, e.g. Limb ischemia (upper or lower), Mesenteric ischemia, acute
- IF known, you should also link to the ischemia code the contributing cause or causes, which may include:
- the Category:Atherosclerosis code of the relevant regional arterial tree -- e.g. Atherosclerosis of arteries of arms or legs
- the Category:Venous thromboembolism / Category:Arterial thromboembolism code of the relevant regional arterial tree -- e.g. Thromboembolism/embolism, renal vein
- Compartment Syndrome
- Mechanical compression of a limb or its vessels (as most often occurs in trauma situations)
- Use of vasoconstrictor medications, for whatever indication
- Of course, a patient may have any of these potential causes of ischemia without ischemia.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
|Ischemic gut codes:|
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)