Mesenteric ischemia, NOS
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dx:||Mesenteric ischemia, NOS|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Ischemic Bowel, Mesenteric Infarct/Thrombosis|
|Charlson/ALERT Scale:||Peripheral vascular disease|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
NOS in this case means that it is not clear if the condition is Mesenteric ischemia, acute or Mesenteric ischemia, chronic.
Ischemic gut guideline
There are separate codes for different parts of the ischemic gut:
- The following 3 items refer to ischemia of the intestines, including small bowel (including duodenem), or colon, rectum, anus
- For ischemia of the stomach -- use Disorder of stomach or duodenum, NOS
- For ischemia of the liver -- use Disorder of liver, NOS
- For ischemia of the esophagus --- use Disorder of esophagus, NOS
- Thus, these various codes variously cover the following concepts:
- "ischemic bowel"
- "ischemic gut"
- "mesenteric arterial thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric vein thrombosis, embolism or thromboembolism"
- "mesenteric arterial atherosclerosis"
- But these codes do NOT include:
- The cause of that ischemia/infarction. As usual, if the cause is known, link the code for the cause to the relevant code as above for the ischemia, e.g: Atherosclerosis of arteries, NOS, Thrombosis or embolism of artery, NOS, Septic Thrombosis or Embolism, NOS, Disorder of artery/arteries, NOS
- GI arterial disorders in the absence of mesenteric ischemia/infarction.
- Ischemia is an entity that can be contributed to my a variety of causes, and in any organ or body region
- When regional ischemia is present, you should use the ICD10 Category:Ischemia code for that body region, e.g. Limb ischemia (upper or lower), Mesenteric ischemia, acute
- IF known, you should also link to the ischemia code the contributing cause or causes, which may include:
- the Category:Atherosclerosis code of the relevant regional arterial tree -- e.g. Atherosclerosis of arteries of arms or legs
- the Category:Venous thromboembolism / Category:Arterial thromboembolism code of the relevant regional arterial tree -- e.g. Thromboembolism/embolism, renal vein
- Compartment Syndrome
- Mechanical compression of a limb or its vessels (as most often occurs in trauma situations)
- Use of vasoconstrictor medications, for whatever indication
- Of course, a patient may have any of these potential causes of ischemia without ischemia.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
|Ischemic gut codes:|
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)
Show all ICD10 Subcategories