Definition of a Medicine Laptop Admission
From CCMDB WikiJump to navigationJump to search
- For Critical Care, see Definition of a Critical Care Laptop Admission
- The following situations ARE included for the Regional Medicine Database.
- Collection for internal medicine patients starts at Accept DtTm ie possibly while in ER, regardless of where they are, including if they are still in the ER (i.e. EMIP).
Inclusion based on service
- Admitted under a Medicine service attending physician anywhere in the hospital (including, for example, if they are remaining in ED because there is no medicine ward bed yet). (see #excluded patients)
- includes "HSC Oncology / Medicine"
Inclusion based on location
- Admitted to a Medicine ward location but rather than being cared for by the regular ward team, the primary care service is
- Neurology (includes "HSC Internal Med / Neurology" patients admitted to HSC HOBS)
- Oncology -- EXCEPT if admitted ONLY for chemotherapy (if complications occur and Medicine service takes over, admit the pt starting at medicine service acceptance)
- For this purpose, we INCLUDE Nephro, Neuro or Onc patients who are located on one of the mixed wards (i.e. wards that have both Medicine and non-Medicine [e.g. surgery] beds; an example of such wards are the mixed COVID wards). The rationale is that what we are seeking to capture is patients who use Medicine "resources". So by this criterion, Nephro, Neuro or Onc who are in ED are NOT included in the Medicine database as ED beds are not a Medicine resource.
- For these inclusions based on location, once pt is transferred out of the Medicine ward location, we no longer follow the patient. (see #excluded patients)
- The following situations ARE NOT included for the Regional Medicine Database:
- Oncology patients admitted only for chemotherapy. These are short stay patients with only nursing IPN entries.
- Nephrology, Oncology or Neurology patients whose primary care service is (respectively) nephrology, oncology or neurology -- who are NOT on a Medicine ward location.
- Patients admitted to HSC_H6 under "HSC Internal Med / Respiratory" or "HSC Internal Med / Neurology" -- actually this fits into the above rules, as HSC_H6 is not a Medicine ward location.
- Interventional radiology pts admitted for an overnight procedure (not on Cognos EPR Report so easy to exclude)
- exclude "HSC Oncology / Radiation"