|CCI Picklist code:||7.SC.70.SA|
|CCI Collection Mode:||CCI collect first|
- This is a procedure code for a patient who is on infection isolation precautions.
- To qualify for this, the patient must himself/herself have a condition for which isolation is indicated. So, a group for which this code should NOT be used are patients who are put on isolation precautions PROPHYLACTICALLY, i.e. for infection present in somebody else on the ward. An example is when a group of ward patients get C. diff and in response everyone on that ward is put on isolation precautions. The patients on such prophylactic precautions would NOT get this code. However, if such a person then does get (in this example) C. diff, he/she would get this code as of the day he/she got the infection for which the isolation is being done.
- It includes any/all of the following kinds of isolation protocols:
- gloves only
- gloves and gown
- negative pressure room use
- reverse isolation
- cohorting the patient with other patients with the same pathogen
In the context of Colonized with organism (not infected)
- If a patient is placed on Isolation, infectious on arrival only for the reason of pre existing MRSA (or other colonization), then code Admit Diagnosis Colonized with organism (not infected) and code the isolation as an Admit Procedure.
- For patients who have MRSA in comorbs, and are admitted for other reasons, put Isolation, infectious in acquired CCI codes.
For patients who are admitted and have pre existing MRSA to code infectious isolation as an acquired CCI code is counterintuitive if it is present and treated with isolation on admission. Pre existing colonization would be included as an ADMIT DX if treated with isolation, and the isolation would be included as an admit CCI procedure.
Isolation for Use of Cytotoxic Agents
- This is NOT included because such isolation (e.g. keeping pregnant nurses from caring for patients getting certain teratogenic medications) is not isolating the patient.
Collecting "CCI collect first" items
- "CCI collect first" items are entered the first time they happen
- Px Date
- if an Acquired Procedure, enter them with the Px Date of the first time they happen and Px Count of 1
- if an Admit Procedure leave the date blank and just enter the procedure and Px Count of 1
Alternate CCIs to consider coding instead or in addition
|Other procedure in Therapeutic Procedure:|
Related ICD10 Codes
Data Integrity Checks (SMW)
|CCI_Picklist||CCI component 1 codes - what organ was something done to||CCI component 2 codes - what was done|