Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||none assigned|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- This code refers to a pattern whereby a patient has not -- prior to admission -- followed doctors' orders for medical management in a way that may harm them.
- This can occur either by willful choice, or the person now understanding the instructions, or even not being able to afford medications, etc.
- While this USUALLY means not taking their meds, it can also refer to not doing other things recommended in a way that may harm them (e.g. an MI patient who isn't going to cardiac rehab).
- In chronic hemodialysis population-those not showing up for or missing multiple treatments.
- Those with chronic serious infections not showing up for their IV antibiotics in community
- Do not however, use this code simply to identify a patient who is medically incompetent to make their own decisions.
- We are not seeking to specifically code or track people who are unable to make their own medical decisions.
- However, if there is a medical/neurologic/psychiatric reason for the patient to be deemed unable to make their own decisions, then code THAT entity.
- And if in such a setting the patient is medically noncompliant (as above), code that too.
- To operationalize this, only code it if the medical management with which they were noncompliant is directly or strongly related to an Admit Diagnosis
- e.g. where you should code it: Admitted for hypertensive emergency and was not taking prescribed anti-hypertensive medications
- e.g. where you should NOT code it: Admitted for pneumonia, with hypertension as a Comorbid Diagnosis was not taking prescribed anti-hypertensive medications
- Based on the above, this code should only be used as an Admit Diagnosis, i.e. noncompliance with some aspect of their care is related to a medical reason for admission. So don't code it as a Comorbid Diagnosis.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)