Observation for suspected infection NOS
|Dx:||Observation for suspected infection NOS|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||none assigned|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||none|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
This diagnosis is a part of ICD10 collection.
- This code is used if a person was observed for a suspected infection (other than Observation for SUSPECTED tuberculosis) but did NOT end up having an infection.
- For example, it is used for suspected COVID-19 (SARS-COV-2)
Suspected infections being confirmed POSITIVE or NEGATIVE
- If a suspected infection becomes confirmed, remove this code and replace it with the relevant infection code
- If a suspected infection test comes back negative, delete the code unless that code was the only reason for admission, in which case leave it in
Exception to #Suspected infections being confirmed POSITIVE or NEGATIVE for COVID-19
- If patient is a COVID suspect- combine COVID-19 (SARS-COV-2) with Observation for suspected infection NOS linked with the same number (don’t link it with any other infection code if not confirmed) then leave the code in, even if they later come up as a negative
- If a person with the combination of codes that represents observation for suspected COVID-19 then has their COVID come back as (+), then just change the Observation for suspected infection NOS to whatever is the COVID manifestation (e.g. pneumonia, etc).
- ALSO, do NOT use this combination of codes for each COVID swab sent, as this represents a diagnosis, not a procedure.
Until 2021-02-22 the instruction was to keep the Observation entry rather than change it to the actual manifestation, so older data would list this different from newer instructions.
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Infections in ICD10 have combined coding requirements for some of their pathogens. Any that have antibiotic resistances would store those as Combined ICD10 codes as well. If the infection is acquired in the hospital, see Nosocomial infection, NOS. See Lab and culture reports for confirmation and details about tests. See Infections in ICD10 for more general info.
Attribution of infections
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)
|Query check ICD10 Inf Potential Infection must have pathogen or alt||CCMDB.accdb||declined|
|Query Check Inf Pathogens must have Infection requiring pathogen or Potential Infection||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|