Treponema pallidum (Syphilis)
|Dx:||Treponema pallidum (Syphilis)|
|Pre-ICD10 counterpart:||Meningoencephalitis, Syphilis-Treponema Pallidium|
|APACHE Como Component:||none|
|APACHE Acute Component:||Neuro NOS|
|External ICD10 Documentation|
- T. pallidum is a spirochete, a spiral-shaped bacterium.
- It is the cause of syphilis, including any of it's acute, chronic and congenital forms, involving any organ(s).
STD Coding Guidelines
- Coding of an STD involves combining a code for the infection, with the relevant pathogen.
- For the infection, choose a code indicating an infection of that body part
- e.g. for CNS syphilis would use: Encephalitis, meningoencephalitis, myelitis, encephalomyelitis, bacterial combined with the bug code
- e.g. for the "usual" cutaneous manifestation of many STDs, combine Sexually transmitted (venereal) infections, NOS with the bug code.
- Pathogen choices for STDs would include:
- The three major specific ones are:
- If it's not one of those 3, then other options for pathogen include:
Alternate ICD10s to consider coding instead or in addition
- Sexually transmitted (venereal) infections, NOS
- Encephalitis, meningoencephalitis, myelitis, encephalomyelitis, infectious NOS
- Encephalitis, meningoencephalitis, myelitis, encephalomyelitis, bacterial
- Skin, rash NOS
Candidate Combined ICD10 codes
Infections in ICD10 have combined coding requirements for some of their pathogens. Any that have antibiotic resistances would store those as Combined ICD10 codes as well. If the infection is acquired in the hospital, see Nosocomial infection, NOS. See Lab and culture reports for confirmation and details about tests. See Infections in ICD10 for more general info.
A Pathogen has to be coded in combination with all infection requiring pathogens and should be coded with potential infections as applicable. There will be cross-checks, see Infections in ICD10#CCDMB Data Integrity Checks for more info.
Attribution of infections
Related CCI Codes
Data Integrity Checks (SMW)
|Check Inf Infection with implied pathogen must not have a pathogen combined code||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Query check ICD10 Inf Infection req Pathogen must have one||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Check Inf Pathogens must have Infection requiring pathogen or Potential Infection||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Query check ICD10 Inf Potential Infection must have pathogen or alt||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Check Inf Antibiotic resistance must have pathogen or Infection with implied pathogen||CCMDB.accdb||implemented|
|Check ICD10 some cant be primary||CCMDB.accdb||needs review|
|Query check ICD10 duplicates||CCMDB.accdb||needs review|