Postal Code field
|Data Element (edit)|
|CCMDB Label:||Postal Code|
|Program:||Med and CC|
The patient's postal code.
The Postal_Code field can be edited in the Dispo tab. A postal code is collected for all patients admitted to a hospital within the WRHA. The postal code collected is from the address that a person permanently resides in any Province in Canada.
- 1 Collection Instruction
- 2 Data Use
- 3 CCDMB Data Integrity Checks (implemented)
- 4 CFE-Postal code cross check
- 5 table Postal_Code_Master
- 6 Start/end Dates
- 7 Wikipedia Postal codes listings across Canada
- 8 Related Articles
- 9 Legacy
Enter the Postal code
- no space
- upper case letters
- example only: X0X0X0
When the postal code is not available (e.g. John or Jane Doe patient or chart doesn't have postal code) enter "N/A" or click the "N/A" button to enter it for you.
Homeless with proxy address
If you have a homeless person admitted who lists their address as Siloam Mission or the Salvation Army/Booth's Place, use that place's postal code as provided.
Code "couch surfers" as "N/A".
For institutionalized patients (e.g. Prison / Jail / Correctional Institution inmates, care homes), use the institution's postal code.
Our cross checks would flag the format of out-of-country postal codes, so enter "N/A" for these.
Patients who are here on a student visa for 6 months or longer are eligible for health coverage under the province. see https://www.gov.mb.ca/ie/study/medical.html For these, enter as you would a regular patient.
Relationship between Province, PHIN and Postal code
- if patient has a MB PHIN number, then Province code should be MB and the postal code should be for MB (MB postal codes start with an "R").
- if Province code is not MB then the postal code should not be a MB postal code and also, there should not be an PHIN number.
Postal Codes are used group patients geographically for purposes such as:
- distribution of patients by MB RHAs outside of Winnipeg
- linking to Stats Canada for socioeconomic stratification of population by geographic area
- cross-checking our data's Province field for out-of-province patients
CCDMB Data Integrity Checks (implemented)
Implemented in Function Validate_PostalCode() and Function is_valid_postalcode
- will reject empty field
- will reject invalid postal code (ie not PC Like "[A-X]#[A-Z]#[A-Z]#")
Cross-checks of PC against Province were implemented at some point but then discontinued due to false positives. Function pc_province_match. Comments in there:
' 2016-07-25 ' it was decided long ago not to check this by the steering committee because ' it gave false positives. ' 2016-11-14 emailed team to find out if we should revisit
Main office weekly data check. data vetting process. Uses query NDC_Bad_Postal_Code and table Postal_Code_Master.
This is the table that postal codes get checked again. It includes the MB RHA that a postal code is affiliated with. For the MB component we imported a version provided by Marc Silva to p:Julie Mojica 2016-09-08. The country-wide component was based on an older table I think we go it from Stats Can.
Start Date: new admissions on and after January 1, 2012 End Date: None / Permanent Collection
Wikipedia Postal codes listings across Canada
Data started out being collected in the tmp field until June 1, 2016. The Postal Code from tmp populated the PostalCode field of Centralized_data on Jun 22, 2016.