Previous Service field
Collection stopping as per Task_Team_Meeting_-_Rolling_Agenda_and_Minutes_2022#ICU_Database_Task_Group_Meeting_–_August_24,_2022. Ttenbergen 16:00, 2022 September 7 (CDT)
Legacy ContentThis page contains Legacy Content.
- Explanation: This is a legacy data field, its DataElementEndDate is in the past.
- Successor: No successor was entered
Click Expand to show legacy content.
|Data Element (edit)|
|CCMDB Label:||Previous Service|
|Program:||Med and CC|
The most recent "originating service" which sends the patients to their current service location.
Legacy implementation right in the table
- For each patient enter the option that most closely matches
- For medicine ward-to-ward moves, code "medicine" as previous service
- For ICU-to-ICU moves, code "Critical Care" if no other specific service is documented
- For pt from ER, code "Emergency Medicine" unless a different service had accepted them and is handing them off to Medicine
- For pt direct from ambulatory not via ER, code "not applicable" if no other specific service is documented
- Patients admitted after having a problem during an outpatient procedure are more complicated:
- Such procedures include outpatient: GI endoscopy, bronchoscopy, cardiac cath, invasive radiology, procedures done at surgicentres, etc.
- If the patient goes DIRECTLY from the outpatient procedure area to a Medicine ward or an ICU, then code the type of physician who was doing the procedure:
- if, for example, it was a GI endoscopy, then the previous service was "GI", but as GI is not specifically listed in the dropdown list of services, then list it as "other"
- If before being admitted to hospital the patient was sent from the procedure area to the ED:
- if the patient was actually an ED patient (under the care of the ED docs) then code "Emergency Medicine"
- if, for example, it was a GI endoscopy and the patient was not actually under ED care, but instead was directly admitted to the ED on the Medicine ward service, then the previous service was "Medicine"
- If the service is not listed, code "other (known but not on list)"
- in these cases we don't care about the details; if we see too many others we may add additional options in future (as of January 2022 we checked and these account for <1% of all previous services)
From HD / From hemodialysis
- Came to dialysis from being an outpatient:
- Previous Location =dialysis
- Previous Service=Nephrology
- Pre-admit Inpatient Institution=n.a.
- Came to dialysis from ED:
- Previous Location=dialysis
- Previous Service=ED
- Pre-admit Inpatient Institution=n.a.
- Came to dialysis from a prior, different, inpatient location:
- Previous Location=dialysis
- Previous Service=service of that prior inpatient location
- Pre-admit Inpatient Institution=that prior inpatient location
From Cardiac Cath Lab
- A patient goes to emergency, then is sent to the cardiac cath lab for an angiogram. Julie would like the sending service to be Emergency Medicine in these cases (not cardiology). Discussed at the task group meeting on July 20, 2017.
- Most patients come to CCU or ICU via the heart cath as a code stemi, in which case the previous service is cardiology because they bypass ER and go direct to the heart cath lab.
- The previous service is who was looking after the pt before the heart cath in some situations. For example, if ECMO is done in the heart cath lab : If the pt was on a ward or unit prior to the procedure, the service is whatever ward or unit it was that sent the pt there. If ER sends a pt for a VV ECMO, the ER is the sending service, unless ICU takes over the pt prior to the ECMO. (They would need to consult cardiac surgery for the ecmo procedure but it would be the ICU that takes over the care ultimately).
This was discussed at the task group meeting on June 21, 2017.
If a patient comes from an OR/RR, code the responsible surgical service as previous service.
Nursing Home Wards (HSC/GRA)
We treat patients that went through the HSC/GRA Nursing Home as having been discharged. So, admission from there should be as if admitted from home, so put "not applicable" into the Previous Service field. This does not affect the Visit Admit DtTm field definition - remember, that is defined by EPR entry.
Admit from home
For an admission directly from home bypassing the ER enter Previous Service = 'Not applicable'.
from EMIP via ER
The case of VIC ER to STB EMIP to VIC ER to VIC Ward is a bit tricky because STB EMIP signify being an inpatient under Medicine service before going to VIC ER. WIKI defines Previous Service as the "originating service" for those patient's who where already in a prior inpatient location. It would be easier to define the previous service if this is a case of direct transfer to VIC Medicine service and parked only in VIC ER. This is a good question - which to use, Emergency Medicine or Medicine? Since it is known that there is prior inpatient service, I am more on the second one 'Medicine'. This can be a similar case when the previous location is Operating or Recovery and the responsible surgical service is coded as previous service. If coming from home to another ER to own ER to own Ward, then previous service is clearly Emergency medicine.
admission from a unit partly collected by us
admission from a nursing station
- For a direct admission to a collection unit from nursing stations, put "other (known, but not on list)".
- If from a nursing station, patient dropped by ER , put "Emergency Medicine".
For a direct admit via the ER, the Previous Service will be the primary service looking after the patient, prior to admission at your facility.
For patients directly admitted from urgent care, code previous service as "Emergency Medicine".
Clinical Assessment Units
Specific instructions apply for coding previous service for the specific CAUs. See
Sending service to ICU will be reported to the Critical Care Director whose interest is to determine the sending services for patients who where already in a prior inpatient location before coming to ICU (refer to minutes of Task Meeting dated 13 April 2015 and 11June 2015). The data to be reported will be filtered to include only those in-patients prior to ICU.
Data Integrity Checks (automatic list)
|Query check previous location vs service inconsistent||CCMDB.accdb||retired|
|Function Validate previous service||CCMDB.accdb||retired|
The field is populated with options from the s_previous_service table.
For medicine this concept is related to ER Wait.
For critical care this concept is related to Service Sending to ICU - refer to Task Meeting minutes dated June 11, 2015.
- see updated minutes dated August 24, 2017.