For other types of diagnoses, see Admit Diagnosis and Comorbid Diagnosis.
Acquired Diagnoses, also referred to as complications, are the most significant problems, surgical procedures or diagnostic procedures that happen to a patient after they physically arrive on the unit.
Acquired diagnoses are coded "in order of occurrence" on a ward/unit.
Coding for Acquireds/complications follow the general ICD10 collection instructions.
The Dx_Date is mandatory for Acquireds/complications.
onset not discovery
Acquired diagnoses do not refer to diagnoses that have been discovered after the patient comes to the unit if it is likely that the patient was admitted to ward with the problem in the first place but it took a few days to figure that out.
We don't repeat the diagnosis in the acquired section. For example if the admit diagnosis is CHF they get treated but relapse back into CHF we do not add that as a acquired complication. Exceptions:
- for procedures we can repeat them once as a complication. For example if the patient came in with a scope in the admit and then had 3 more scopes in the hospital you would enter it once as an acquired
- the same type of infection that was present on admission but with a different pathogen
Acquired Diagnoses are drawn from S_ICD10 table and stored in L_ICD10 table.
| Related articles:
- Main Page (← links)
- Admit Diagnosis (← links)
- Green sheet (← links)
- Complications (redirect page) (← links)
- Hypertension (← links)
- Comorbid Diagnosis (← links)
- General Diagnosis Coding Guidelines (← links)
- Auto Data Dictionary (← links)
- QA Infection VAP (← links)
- L ICD10 table (← links)
- ICD10 collection (← links)
- Dx Date (← links)
- Px Type (← links)
- Dx Type (← links)
- Myocardial infarction, acute (AMI), transmural (Q-wave) (← links)
- Myocardial infarction, acute (AMI), subendocardial/non-transmural (non-Q-wave) (← links)
- Myocardial infarction, acute (AMI), NOS (← links)
- Past history, myocardial infarction (old MI) (← links)
- Pneumonia, ventilator-associated (VAP) (← links)
- Respiratory failure (insufficiency), chronic (← links)
- Iatrogenic, infection, central venous catheter-related bloodstream infection (CVC-BSI, CLI) (← links)
- Chronic dependence on mechanical ventilator (← links)
- Template:ICD10 Guideline MI acute vs past history (← links)
- L ICD10 subform (← links)
- CCMDB Diagnosis Code List (← links)
- Dx Date unknown (← links)
- Diagnostic Data available in the Critical Care and Medicine Database (← links)
- Procedure Data available in the Critical Care and Medicine Database (← links)